Photos, Links, Resources
Not quite related to Snow Jam ’82, but still very cool, check out these amazing macro photos of snow flakes from Russian photographer Alexey Kljatov on Flickr. (Dec. 2013)
Other Sites Referencing Snow Jam ’82:
- 35 Things You’ll Remember if You Actually Grew Up ion Atlanta (myAJC.com)
Includes “Celebrating your birthday at Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour in Northlake Mall.” Oh, yeah, I was there. You?
- Wikipedia: "Extreme [Atlanta] Weather"
Lots of info not only on Snow Jam ’82, but many other notable weather events in Georgia history as well.
- Storm calls to mind SnowJams of yesteryear
AccessAtlanta.com references Snow Jam ’82 in an article about the “SnowPocalypse of 2011.”
- Atlanta Snow Storm: Atlanta's Worst Snowfall Amounts (11 Alive)
Atlanta’s 11 Alive News lists Snow Jam ’82 as the second-highest amount of snow recorded at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.
- Atlanta’s weather forecaster Kirk Mellish from WSB Radio also refers to Snow Jam ’82 as the second-highest snowfall total for Atlanta on his blog Superstorm March 1993 Blizzard
- “Spring Road, Atlanta Road and South Cobb Drive were impassible for several days...” according to the Smyrna Historical and Genealogical Society website.
- Ya’ll call that snow? Snow Jam ’82 mentioned humorously in a reader comment on The Newcomer blog by Jamie Gumbrecht.
- This kind of snowstorm happens every 10 or 15 years at Politifact.com
- There’s no jam like Snow Jam at ajc.com. The writer, Atlanta traffic guru Mark Arum, references SnowJam82.com
- Snow Jam ’82 earns a mention on the AtlantaMagazine.com 1980’s timeline.
- More stories at Paulding.com
- Snow: It’s all a matter of what you’re used to at ajc.com
- Darrell Huckaby (Athens Banner-Herald) says,
“Why close school early? Snow Jam ’82, of course”
- Shorty PJ’s “Celebrating 25 Years of Snow Jam ’82 Tall Tales
- The Hudspeth Report (scroll down to February 2004)
- News 3/WRBL (Columbus GA) Phil Scoggins of News 3/WRBL in Columbus recounts his story (watch the video) of making his way from Columbus, GA to Atlanta in the storm. His urgency? His daughter, Andrea, was about to be born at Piedmont hospital!
- Snow Jam and Okra Bread
- Our Georgia History
(This site says, “This large, unpredicted snowfall paralyzed Atlanta...” I definitely don’t remember this as unpredicted!)
- Masterworks Studio has a brief mention
- Several people commented on Snow Jam ’82 in reply to “A Day Spoiled” at ajc.com
- A post at talkweather.com references Snow Jam ’82 as the second most snow in Atlanta since 1949 with 5.8"
- Jan 11: Snow Forces Metro Atlanta to Shut Down at Examiner.com
- A brief Snow Jam ’82 mention at the Let’s Talk blog.
Bybee Web has some pictures (Hmm ... this one seems to have disappeared (www.bybeeweb.com/wlta/).
Know any other sites with info or pictures from Snow Jam ’82? and I’ll add them here.